[OAI-general] OAI and intellectual property issues

José Luis Borbinha jose.borbinha@bn.pt
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 00:05:08 +0100

Dear Terry,
You raise a very relevant issue, but it might be not a real
problem in the OAI scope...
The idea behind OAI is not to consider "the metadata as THE
resource", but to raise the awareness about the resource that the
metadata describes. In that sense, the value is in the resource,
and not in the metadata that it announces.
IMHO, the organizations willing to put their metadata available
trough an OAI interface must be aware that such metadata will be
"lost" for the public domain. In fact, they should be happy if
someone else will produce added value on the top of it and makes
money with that, since the target is the resource that the
metadata describes...
Regards,
José Borbinha
PS: Maybe this is more like distributing Linux flavors, where the
kernel is always the same, and is free, but you can sell
something more with it, and everyone wins...