[OAI-general] Clarifying the numbers

Steve Hitchcock sh94r@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 11:10:22 +0100

Sorry to combine two list posts in this response, but in each case I need
help to decide if I'm numerically challenged or not. Brevity is fine, but
clarity is better.

At 15:08 17/08/01 -0400, Kurt Maly wrote:
>The collection of Arc reached 1 Million yesterday. We took a snapshop of
>the event and you can see the result at: http://dlib.cs.odu.edu/arc.jpg

Kurt,         1M what - indexed papers? Archives! I've looked at your
snapshot, but I can't tell what is significant. Can you enlighten?

At 08:07 18/08/01 +0100, Subbiah Arunachalam wrote:
>In the last few weeks, leading commercial publishers
>have promised to release more than a thousand
>biomedical journals to be accessed free (after six
>months of publication), a concession they had to make
>if they have to survive the Public Library of Science
>and Open archives movements.

Arun,          1k journals? Where is this information from?

Steve Hitchcock
Open Citation (OpCit) Project <http://opcit.eprints.org/>
IAM Research Group, Department of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton SO17 1BJ,  UK
Email: sh94r@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel:  +44 (0)23 8059 3256     Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865