[OAI-general] RE: [EP-underground] Linking to arXiv.org (fwd)

Stevan Harnad harnad@coglit.ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 11:25:07 +0100 (BST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 12:50:31 -0700
From: Ed Sponsler <eds@library.caltech.edu>
To: 'EPrints Underground List' <eprints-underground@ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Subject: RE: [EP-underground] Linking to arXiv.org

An idea that just popped in my mind: how about a 'Set' (or subject) creation
plugin for EPrints. It would take a search result list and assign a common
subject to them all. The OAI would export that as a Set, which can then be
selectively harvested. [Is my understanding correct that EPrints subjects
are in fact OAI sets? And that OAI has a mechanism to selectively harvest
sets?]

Shouldn't be to tough to add a "make subject" link in a staff eprint search
result screen, prompt for a subject name and add that name to the subject
field for all records returned in the set.

A more sophisticated approach would be to enable queries like: 'Create a set
for each author'. The script would then need to generate a search query for
each author name and assign them to a subject/set. Another valuable query
would be to 'Create a set for these year ranges'. Many other possibilities.

All of this of course relies on good and consistent metadata to create
complete and relevant sets.

Ed Sponsler, Sr. Computing Analyst
Caltech Library System