[UPS] Data Provider Template

David Fielding dlf2@digilib.library.cornell.edu
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 09:50:09 -0400 (EDT)

	A while back I looked at the way information about repositories
	is currently disseminated. The data provider fills out an HTML
	form and sends notice of this form to the Open Archives initiative.

	Why not make this descriptive information available via a
	protocol request that returns XML instead of HTML. This would
	make it easier to collect information from all open archive
	compliant repositories.

	A while back I went ahead and implemented an Identity request
	in Dienst:

	http://cs-tr.cs.cornell.edu/Dienst/Repository/1.0/Identity

	While this needs to be cleaned up a bit (especially identifiers)
	this would be a much better way to disseminate information about
	repositories. Much of the data comes directly from the repository
	configuration files and would likely be more up to date than a
	static HTML page.

	Just a suggestion. Hope it's not too late for your meeting.

David