[UPS] call for list of "promised archives" before May 15

Edward A. Fox fox@vt.edu
Tue, 02 May 2000 00:33:10 -0400

Hi!

I am working on a proposal to the US Dept. of
Education, along with 4 other universities, to
develop a graduate education program to promote
understanding of the OAi, including helping students
know how to create and archive electronic documents
such as reports or electronic theses and dissertations.

One criticism at the pre-proposal stage had to do with
the extent and value of information that will become
accessible through the OAi.  To help address that
criticism in our final proposal, and to provide a list
that can be posted from www.openarchives.org, I
offer to collect information from the group regarding
what content has been promised to be made available
through OAi.

In particular I ask for a list of all archives, electronic
journals, or other groups that will make content available
according to the Santa Fe Convention.  To make this
consistent, please be sure to reply with at least the
following information (or as much of it as you can provide
or can estimate).  For the sake of the proposal, I will
need to receive replies by May 15 at the latest.

Many thanks, regards, Ed

* Short Name of Archive (e.g., NDLTD)
* Long Name of Archive (e.g., Networked Digital Library
    of Theses and Dissertations)
* URLs for Archive (e.g, www.theses.org, www.ndltd.org)
* Contact Person / Archive Director (with name, email
    address, affiliation, mailing address, phone, fax -
    e.g., info for me)
* Metadata Standards Supported by Archive (e.g., MARC,
    metadata standard for electronic theses and
    dissertations, OAMS)
* Topical / Subject / Discipline / Scope of Coverage
  of Archive (e.g., electronic theses and dissertations)
* Description of Target Audience of Archive (e.g.,
   graduate students, researchers)
* Typical Size of a Document in the Archive (e.g., 1 Mbyte)
* Expected Number of Documents in Archive by end of
   Year 2000 (e.g., 10,000)
* Expected Number of Documents in Archive by end of
    Year 2001 (e.g., 20,000)
* Expected Data of Compliance with OAi Specifications
  (e.g., summer 2000)
Professor Edward A. Fox, Ph.D.
Department of Computer Science
660 McBryde Hall, M/C 0106