[UPS] RE: free online access to 137,000+ science articles

Michael Friedman friedman@highwire.stanford.edu
Sun, 05 Mar 2000 16:37:20 -0800

Hey - they finally released that Press Release! Now I can talk about it...
(The disadvantages of working in a business/competitive environment. :( )

I sure hope that having the most free articles becomes a competition,
but who can tell. HighWire sees it as an advantage in two ways: as great
advertising for our services to publishers and readers, and as an
interesting competition with our competitors, PubMed Central and
Elsevier, Ovid, etc.

As for our growth rate, what with adding new journals (we're up to 170,
I think) and bringing back issues online (like more back content for
PNAS, thanks to JSTOR, who's actually doing that work), so far we've
been at least doubling every year. Not all of that is free,
unfortunately, but we're pushing our publishers hard to make as much
free as possible. We don't think we're going to pass NASA ADS anytime
soon, though.

Now, here's the best news: as the press release indicates, we think of
all of our journals' free content as one big, giant archive. We are
thinking of making an Open Archives server for all that content. Thus,
like arXiv, all 139,000+ articles would be available to OA protocol
based services. First, though, we would need to get the permission of
all of our client publishers...  Nothing is probably going to happen
until after sometime this summer, when I get ClinMed Netprints OA server
up and running, but watch this space. :)

-- Michael Friedman