[UPS] chemistry preprint server to comply with SF convention

Thomas Krichel T.Krichel@surrey.ac.uk
Thu, 6 Jul 2000 19:44:07 +0100

  Eric F. Van de Velde writes

> This is good news. However, current ACS policy still considers posting
> preprints on the web as publication, preventing web-published preprints from
> being published in their regular journals. Do you know whether or not there
> is any move on the part of ACS editors to relax this policy?

  Intersting comment.

  One thing I would quiz chemweb.com about is their business policy.
  They may allow free posting and access now (do they?) but
  later---once they have collected a substantial stock---they can hold the
  academic community to ransom and impose a monopolistic charge.

  I certainly would not post my papers to a commercial server.

  Cheers,

  Thomas Krichel                       http://openlib.org/home/krichel
                                   RePEc:per:1965-06-05:thomas_krichel