[UPS] <journal> journal

herbert van de sompel herbert.vandesompel@rug.ac.be
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 09:03:02 +0200

Hi all,

I discussed matters related to this with Stevan during a break at our
Santa Fe meeting.  Actually, I suggested to (ab)use the Subject field as
a carrier for the information on the journal(s) in which the author
would like his eprint to be published. Whether this information would
indeed belong in the Subject field or in a seperate Journal field is
open for discussion.  I think that - in addition to the arguments that
Stevan uses, this idea has the following benefits:

- There is a universal understanding regarding the subject areas of
journals, meaning that there exists an agreed upon global
subject-oriented namespace being the journal namespace (that actually
even has unique identiefiers - ISSNs).  This can hardly be said about
other subject classifications.
- It is a type of Subject classification that can indeed be added by the
author, who IS a connoisseur of the journals in his domain, but hardly
is a subject classification expert.  This is a type of subject
classification that has a true sense of longeivity whereas many other
schemes (inlcuding free keywords) are very time-dependent.  It is a
subject classification that could be used by whomever and that could
lead to very interesrting features in end-user services.
- It could be used as a gateway mechanism between eprint archives and
publishers: publishers could harvest records that have their journal
names in the Subject/Journal field and decide whether they are or are
not interested in publishing the paper.
- I see this as a very nice way to gently parasite on the existing
communication system.

greetings

herbert