[UPS] last call for subcontractors for NSF ITR Open Archives pre-proposal

Edward A. Fox fox@vt.edu
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 12:19:29 -0500

Hi!  Happy Holidays!

I hope everyone remembers the 11/16 email I sent about an NSF ITR proposal
and the letter of intent to NSF for same.  I'm copying it to all getting this
msg, just in case.  Since the UPS mailing list does not like msgs with many
recipients, I'm sending this note twice - once to that list, once directly to
people.

This is my last call to the group to see if anyone wants to be a subcontractor
with regards to the NSF ITR program research proposal being put together to
help
support Open Archives.  I believe that we are limited to applying for funds
for
US
investigators.

I hope that almost all of you will fall into one of 2 situations:

Case 1:
If you believe you will contribute significantly to the Open Archives
initiative, and
won't be needing NSF support, please let me know and summarize in a short
email msg the (preferably dollar) value of that contribution, and describe it
briefly.

Case 2:
If you believe you can contribute significantly to research on Open Archives,
and
will need NSF funds to make that possible, please send me the following:
1. a 2 page NSF style CV
2. a single total figure for the 5 year budget estimate
3. a par. about what part of the effort you'd carry out
4. a set of references

Right now I'm expecting subcontracts for University of Virginia (led by Jim
French,
possibly including Thornton Staples, Mark Shields, and Worthy Martin) and
Cornell
(led by Carl Lagoze).  There might be one from ODU (Kurt Maly) and one from
CalTech
(Eric F. Van de Velde)

Note that in the subcontracts I'd prefer, in accord with new NSF guidelines
for
ITR, for most of the money to go to grad students, and only a small amount to
faculty or staff.

I'm expecting no-cost support by LANL (Paul, Rick) as well as Herbert.

NEC Research Institute will provide its CiteSeer software and some support
of that to help.  I'm hoping to get support from Battelle (Pacific Northwest
National
Laboratory). The Internet Archive could assist, such as by ensuring that
the Open Archives Initiative can rely on the Internet
Archive as a location of last resort to provide version(s)
of documents of interest.

I  believe Southampton (Steve Hitchcock and Stevan Harnad and others -
the Open Citation, or OpCit, project) will provide assistance.
John Ober of the California Digital Library will help integrate
their eScholarship archives.

Also on the international scene there may be support from:
* Brazil - Ana Pavani
* Chile - Ricardo Baeza-Yates
* Germany - Peter Diepold, Eberhard Hilf, and others in the
   Dissertations Online project
* India - Shalini Urs (coming to VT mid 2000 for Fulbright) and
   Subbiah Arunachalam
* Mexico - Alfredo Sanchez and David Garza-Salazar
* Portugal - Jose Borbinha
* Russia - Alexander Plemnek
as well as others involved in Open Archives - I hope to
get replies from all who want to be listed.

In all these cases I look forward to receiving some specifics else I'll
exercise
creative writing skills :-)

I look forward to replies by those interested in contributing significantly.

By the way, a possible title for the proposal is "Supporting Next Generation
Scholars with Tools, Services and Interoperable Archives" -
what do people think about it?

Many thanks, Ed

Professor Edward A. Fox, Ph.D.
Department of Computer Science