[OAI-implementers] RE: Change of identifiers

Viademonte Da Rosa, Sergio sviade at essex.ac.uk
Tue Dec 6 12:16:11 EST 2011

hi Thomas,

Just to share some experience that we have had at the UK Data Archive. One of our partner organizations, from where we harvester data, went through a redesign/redevelopment of its applications, and as a consequence changed not only their OIA identifiers but links for OAI calls, as as well.

This gave us significant problems, including data consistance. As changing identifiers data become completely inconsistent<http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/inconsistent>.

Therefore, as a suggestion, if I understood you right. If changing identifers is essential for you, do it in partnership with organziations/institutions you exchange data.

one workaround, would  be to write a wrapper which would mimic the behavior of your old OAI, hence mapping the old dentifiers to the new ones.  You would expose the this wrrapper to institutions that already query your OAI

Dr. Sergio Viademonte.

Systems and Applications.

UK DATA ARCHIVE

WIVENHOE PARK