[OAI-implementers] need help in understanding handling of non-dc records

Sandra McIntyre sandra.mcintyre at utah.edu
Mon Jun 28 09:44:11 EDT 2010

Neil,

The different formats are retrieveduadQQ

=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=•=
Sandra McIntyre | Program Director
Mountain West Digital Library | Utah Academic Library Consortium
http://mwdl.org | +1-801-585-0969 | sandra.mcintyre at utah.edu<mailto:sandra.mcintyre at utah.edu>

On Jun 28, 2010, at 2:27 AM, "Neil Godfrey" <neilgodfrey1 at gmail.com<mailto:neilgodfrey1 at gmail.com>> wrote:

I have been instructed to redirect the following query to this list.

I am attempting to understand what happens with non-DC records in an OAI-PMH server, since the OAI-PMH protocol encourages richer metadata records in addition to those in simple DC. I am not a OAI implementer so would appreciate an explanation for a non-technical person.

OAI-PMH encourages making metadata records available in formats other than Simple DC (as well as in Simple DC)

Suppose in addition to having the brief OAI DC record as the OAI data provider, we also have a longer record, say in TEI or MODS, from which the brief OAI DC record was extracted.

How does the OAI service provider handle that longer MODS/TEI record? I understand that the OAIPMH service provider asks for a list of all metadata formats. Once it gets those, what does it do with them?

Does or can the Service Provider also upload this longer record? Or does it just link/point to it on site  from the brief DC record?

Also, does that longer record necessarily have to be in XML format?

Many thanks
Neil Godfrey

<ATT00001..txt>