[OAI-implementers] Autentication in OAI-PMH

José Borbinha jlb at ist.utl.pt
Fri Jul 30 07:58:02 EDT 2010

Hi Filipe!
Please be aware that the "O" in "OAI" really intends to mean "Open"! In that
sense you are raising a relevant requirement for your project, but in fact it
intentionally never was a requirement for the OAI community...

Anyway, there are many "strategies" you can apply to still keep using the
basic OAI-PMH principles and on the same time apply your requirement... You
can start by using a VPN, but maybe other very simple one, that just came now
to my mind, would be to have from the server side an implementation of the
delivery of the data sets dependent from the IP address of the client (I mean,
you just need to customize a server for that, so for unknown IPs the server
gives the "public" data, and the "private" data only to known and previously
registered IPs...). Just an idea...

Regards
José Borbinha