[OAI-implementers] New member and looking for advise

Arshad Ali Khan holberry at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 11:07:34 EDT 2009

Dear All,

I am a new bee in this forum and am looking forward to spying on every post
from now on. I am actally involved in a project aiming at web resources
preservation. Our's is a very limited approach to preservation in that we
don't collect web resources automatically but collect them manually after
sorting out copyright and IPR issues. We are now considering long term
digital preservation of these web resources which we are amassing in our web
site. At the same time we want to enable our server process OAI-PMH requests
in order ro share our resources with other interoperable repository network
compatible with such protocols. I am currently testing mod_oai in a testing
environment and have configured various automatic metadata utilities on our
apache 2.0 web server to check server efficiency and processing for both
http and OAI_PMH queries. Could somebody advise if I am doing the right
thing and conitnue further testing until I finally configured our LIVE
server ?

I am also reading about OAI_ORE but obviously, keeping in view the
effectiveness of mod_oai in terms of automatic metadata
preservation,harvesting on during dissemination and long term preservation,
I am quite tempted to continue implementing it. Please advise.

thanks

Arshad