[OAI-implementers] question about PMH baseURLs

Hussein Suleman hussein at cs.uct.ac.za
Fri Apr 3 10:40:07 EDT 2009

hi

a protocol specification issue: can we have a baseURL that includes a
"?" character (see email below from Thomas Staecker).

personally, it seems reasonable to me. the schema says anyURI for
Identify response, which makes it valid. but the PMH narrative says that
in order to create a request a harvester can append "?" and a
"&"-separated parameter list to the baseURL. this causes a bit of a
contradiction.

so, should the narrative of the PMH be changed to allow baseURLs with
existing embedded parameters? all harvesters will then need to be aware
of this and check for existing parameters if they are not already doing
this.

other interoperable Web-based systems (Facebook, Sakai) already do this
quite seamlessly. from our perspective, is a minor change for consistent
HTTP usage worth the possible need for change to harvesters?

thoughts?

ttfn,
----hussein