[OAI-implementers] Limit number of records return

Michael Nelson mln at cs.odu.edu
Thu Aug 28 14:59:00 EDT 2008

Zachary,

In OAI-PMH the harvester does not decide how many records you get back.
Instead it is the repository that decides how many records to return for a
ListRecords response (or headers in a ListIdentifiers response).

If you really wanted to, you could do a ListIdentifiers request and then
do a GetRecord request on each of the first N records.  But it is probably
easiest to do a ListRecords and only parse the first N records from the
response.

regards,

Michael

On Thu, 28 Aug 2008, Zachary Spalding wrote:

> I have been reading through the OAI documentation and I can't find where I can limit
> the number of records return.  I see that I can do it by date but in my case I need to
> do it my the records.
> These our my two objectives
>
> 1.  I want to grab the first 20 records in a collection
> 2. I want to be able to define a new starting point like start at record 21 and grab
> the next 20 records.
>
> Below is the URL I am using to retrieve a set of records from a collection
>
> http://www.hrvh.org/cgi-bin/oai.exe?verb=ListRecords&metadataPrefix=oai_dc&set=bard
>
> Any ideas if this can be done, or where in the documentation I should be look at to
> accomplish this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Zachary Spalding

----
Michael L. Nelson mln at cs.odu.edu http://www.cs.odu.edu/~mln/
Dept of Computer Science, Old Dominion University, Norfolk VA 23529
+1 757 683 6393 +1 757 683 4900 (f)