[OAI-implementers] Using dates other than metadata record creation date for data provider "from" and "until" searches

Frederic MERCEUR Frederic.Merceur at ifremer.fr
Fri Apr 11 02:41:08 EDT 2008

Hello,

As far as I understand the OAI protocol, I would rather say that
DateStamp is about the last time that your record has been updated
(which then must reflect "create", "update" or "delete").

When you will first register your archive into a Harvester, I guess the
harvester will first get all records available. To do so, it will query
your archive without the "from" and "to" parameter.

Then, most of harvesters will run regularly some incremental harvesting
to get the records modified, deleted or added since the previous
harvest. To do so they will run the query with the "from" parameter.

Kind regards,
Fred

Lisa M. Brooks a écrit :
> Hello - We're very close to launching our data provider. Before we do
> I have a question about date-stamps.
>
> I understand that the "from" and "until" dates used to request
> metadata records refer to the date that the metadata record was
> created. We are an archive of research works that date back to the
> 1980s (we will definitely get even older works into our archive as we
> move forward). To my mind it would be more helpful to folks if our
> record date-stamps reflect the date the research work in question was
> first published.
>
> My concern is that we introduce our repository and harvesters don't
> get the gist of the temporal scope of our collection because
> everything is date-stamped en masse with the date that we generate our
> metadata records (which, with luck, will be this Saturday).
>
> I hope I'm making sense! Just want to know if this is a big no-no, or
> if there are things to consider before doing something like this.
> Appreciate the insight of list participants.
>
> Thanks for reading -
> ~Lisa
>
> Lisa M. Brooks
> IssueLab - bringing nonprofit research into focus
> lisa at issuelab.org <mailto:lisa at issuelab.org>
> 773-649-1790
> http://www.issuelab.org

Fred Merceur
Ifremer / Bibliothèque La Pérouse
frederic.merceur at ifremer.fr
Tél : 02-98-49-88-69
Fax : 02-98-49-88-84
Bibliothèque La Pérouse <http://www.ifremer.fr/blp/>
Archimer, Ifremer's Institutional Repository
<http://www.ifremer.fr/docelec/>
Avano, a marine and aquatic OAI harvester <http://www.ifremer.fr/avano/>

*Avant d'imprimer, pensez à l'environnement!*