[OAI-implementers] metadata formats - supporting multiple versions

Kyle Fenton jfenton at emory.edu
Tue Apr 1 10:43:15 EDT 2008

This line of inquiry is very intriguing to me also.   If I wanted to
server out more domain specific data types (EAD, DDI, TEI) and/or just
the metadata headers from those formats I haven't found any reference
examples to know how to form a metadataPrefix that others share as
well (oai_ead-h ?).   I've long wished there were a central online
registry of existing metadataPrefixes, schemas, and metadataNamespaces
for repository interoperability.   Versioning of schemas adds another
layer of complexity to the issue.

When I was at the OAI-ORE rollout in Baltimore recently, I did ask
Herbert van de Sompel about "minting" new metadataPrefixes.   It was a
brief exchange as he was quite busy, but if he understood my question
and I his answer, he places heavy emphasis on the particular schema
being referenced and much less on the metadataPrefix.

If that's true, then the burden would be on the OAI harvester to
correctly parse and interpret the referenced schema in order to
determine what metadata format was being referenced.   Which no
existing OAI harvester I know of actually does, AND which would not
work consistently anyway, e.g. with reference to versioning.   The
Marc21 slim xsd (http://www.loc.gov/standards/marcxml/schema/MARC21slim.xsd
) for instance makes use of a version attribute in its xsd:schema
namespace, but I notice that none of the mods schemas use a similar
convention.

--
Kyle Fenton
Technical Manager