[OAI-implementers] Exposing thumbnails

Leslie Carr lac at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Sep 18 07:24:43 EDT 2007

A thumbnail isn't useful for information discovery per se, so I would
imagine that it would be likely to be a repository-service issue. It
may be that a OAI-service would have rules for finding thumbnails
based on repository platform in the same way that has to have rules
about finding the data/files/objects/bitstreams that correspond to an
OAI item.

For example, if you know that foo.bar.org is an EPrints v3
repository, then the item that corresponds to oai:foo.bar.org:10456
would have a thumbnail for its first bitstream at http://foo.bar.org/
102/thumbnails/1/preview.png

This of course, is not a very satisfactory solution!
--
Les