[OAI-implementers] multiple supporting filestreams

José Borbinha jose.borbinha at bn.pt
Thu Mar 2 12:19:47 EST 2006

We had to face already that problem at the National Digital Library in
Portugal. Our infrastructure is "METS based", so ultimately soon or latter
all those objects will be properly described in that way, but until now we
could not develop yet solutions for all the genres (we have thesis, but also
lots of other genres...). And sometimes the objects can not wait...

The pragmatic solution we are using now is simply to create an HTML
"home-page" for each of those objects, which only link to each file. When
possible, we add also some descriptive information to the top of the page
(title, author, ..). Than we create a metadata record pointing to that HTML
file. If the object has PDFs, sound, etc., we identify it as a HTML MIME
type object. If it is just a group of PDF files, or Word, etc., we identify
according to its specific MIME object. By default, it is a HTML object!!!

We use the same solution for objects that arrive to us in multiple CDs or
DVDs, for example, and that we want to put on-line.

Here is an example that I found fast (with a fancy webpage... usually they
are not so nice):
http://purl.pt/926/

josé borbinha

Prof. José Borbinha (jlb at ist.utl.pt)
http://www.dei.ist.utl.pt/~jlb
DEI/IST/UTL - Departamento de Engenharia Informática (Department of
Information Systems and Computer Engineering)
INESC-ID - Grupo de Sistemas de Informação (Information Systems Group)