[OAI-implementers] Two questions: Rights and Identifiers

Naomi Dushay Naomi at cs.cornell.edu
Tue Feb 28 14:00:54 EST 2006

David,

I don't know about the rights element, but here's an answer to your
identifier question:

The OAI identifier (nested in the OAI header element) should be a unique
identifier for the OAI item, that is, for the metadata.
In oai_dc, the dc:identifier field is meant to be an identifier for the
*resource*.  So it would be incorrect to put your oai identifier value in the
dc:identifier field.

Excerpt from the NSDL metadata primer
(http://metamanagement.comm.nsdlib.org/outline.html):

"The identifier element in the DC portion of a record should be used only for
identifiers linked to the resource, not for the identifier of the metadata
record itself. Metadata record identifiers should be in the OAI portion of a
record." (http://metamanagement.comm.nsdlib.org/contributing.html)

Some drafts of best practices documentation can be found at
http://oai-best.comm.nsdl.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?TableOfContents

You might want to read especially:
http://oai-best.comm.nsdl.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OAIidentifiersAndRegistrationSe
ction