[OAI-implementers] sets - metadataPrefix relationship

Conal Tuohy Conal.Tuohy at vuw.ac.nz
Sun Dec 3 16:52:01 EST 2006

> Irina Dijour wrote:

<snip/>
> > ListRecords request with set=A, metadataPrefix=oai_dc -
> results in error
> > cannotDissemenateFormat

My interpretation of the spec is that "cannotDisseminateFormat" would be
illegal, since the "mandatory" status of oai_dc means that you MUST be
able to disseminate oai_dc metadata for every item.

Gary McGath wrote:
> My understanding is that you can have one set that delivers
> only oai_dc
> records, and another that delivers only marcxml records; but in the
> cases you give the appropriate error response would be noRecordsMatch
> rather than cannotDisseminateFormat.

I also think it would be wrong to return "noRecordsMatch", because in
fact the item does exist (since it can be disseminated in marcxml). IMHO
the correct approach is to return some oai_dc. NB the oai_dc schema has
no mandatory child elements inside the "dc" element, though for the sake
of form it would probably not be hard to generate a dc:title and a
dc:identifier from the marcxml store.

Con