[OAI-implementers] sets - metadataPrefix relationship

Gary McGath gary at hulmail.harvard.edu
Fri Dec 1 17:04:58 EST 2006

Irina Dijour wrote:

> I have a question concerning sets - metadataPrefix relationship.
>
> Is it permitted by the protocol to "attach" metadataPrefix to set?
>

> For example, is the following situation is valid:
>
> I define two sets  A and B. All the records from my repository belong to
> both sets.
>
> Set A "contains" records in marcxml. Set B "contains" records in oai_dc.
>
> ListSets response contains 2 sets: A and B
>
> ListMetadataFormats reponse contains 2 formats: marxml and oai_dc.
>
> ListRecords request with set=A, metadataPrefix=marcxml - results in list
> of records
>
> ListRecords request with set=A, metadataPrefix=oai_dc - results in error
> cannotDissemenateFormat
>
> ListRecords request with set=B, metadataPrefix=marcxml - results in
> error cannotDissemenateFormat
>
> ListRecords request with set=B, metadataPrefix=oai_dc - results in list
> of record
>
> GetRecord request for any record in my repository both with
> metadataPrefix=marcxml and with
>
> metadataPrefix=oai_dc results in the record in corresponding format.

My understanding is that you can have one set that delivers only oai_dc
records, and another that delivers only marcxml records; but in the
cases you give the appropriate error response would be noRecordsMatch
rather than cannotDisseminateFormat.

Imagine a case where a set contained only one record that could be
returned as marcxml.  If your date range included that record, then
you'd return the record; if not, you'd return noRecordsMatch.  The same
logic applies if there are no records in the set that can be returned as
marcxml.

--
Gary McGath
Digital Library Software Engineer