[OAI-implementers] Harvesting DC records for DDI system

eric casteleijn eric at infrae.com
Mon Sep 19 09:12:54 EDT 2005

> We would like to make the system search the UK Data Archive (UKDA) - as
> the UKDA does not use VDC we are looking at being able to harvest their
> records. The UKDA have a test OAI service but this only contains a
> reduced Dublin Core record for each of their catalogue entries and it
> seems that the VDC system will only harvest DDI metadata. Has any body
> got any experience of what would be needed to harvest DC records and put
> them into DDI. At first glance it seems that DC and DDI map pretty well.
>
> Any advice on how this would be done and how much work it would take
> would be much appreciated.

If the needed DDI-fields are there in the DC metadata, an xslt
transformation could be used to translate the harvested xml to the
format you need. (I have no experience with DDI, so I can't really say
how hard or easy this will be, but I don't think it'll be very hard).
You could then have an intermediate server that harvests UKDA and
provides an OAI service with the metadata in DDI. This can probably
achieved in a lot of ways, but at least one of them is using the open
source pyoai package (full disclosure: I work for the company who makes
that, but it is available free of charge through cvs here:
cvs.infrae.com/pyoai/), which provides both OAIPMH client and server
software. Putting just a thin xslt-layer between harvester and server
should not be that hard in Python.

eric casteleijn
infrae