[OAI-implementers] implementation of non-English characters w/UTF-8?

Jewel Ward jewelw at usc.edu
Tue Sep 13 15:29:04 EDT 2005

How have other people implemented "non-UTF-8" characters in their DP
records?

Meaning, we have non-English characters that are "choking" when we test
our Data Provider.  [Think "e" with the accent over it
http://lib-app1.usc.edu:8085/oaidp?verb=GetRecord&identifier=oai:usc:digitalarchive:bhe/bhe-m27&metadataPrefix=oai_dc
(surname after first name of "Elmo").]  Eventually, we will have several
Asian language character sets, as well as the current non-English
characters.

I have looked over the protocol, looked at various tutorials, the
oai-implementers archives, and the OAI Best Practices site, and have not
seen any guidelines other than this thread:

http://www.openarchives.org/pipermail/oai-implementers/2001-April/000093.html

I'm also looking at OLAC and some of the DP implementations in Japan,
but have not [yet] found the solution.  [Like this:
http://mitizane.ll.chiba-u.jp/cgi-bin/oai/oai2.0?verb=ListRecords&metadataPrefix=oai_dc
.]

Will we just have to locate the individual characters that are choking
and encode those a specific way?

Thanks in advance,

Jewel

--