[OAI-implementers] Perl oai modules

Ed Summers ehs at pobox.com
Sat Feb 26 07:20:48 EST 2005

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 01:55:03AM +0000, Tim Brody wrote:
> Other than that; graceful handling of retry-after, redirect, resumption
> token repetition (to one depth only), and retry-on empty response.

Nice, thanks for the details. It looks like your harvester handles
static repositories as well as OAI v1.1 which is a nice bonus. You might
want to add a listAllRecords(), listAllIdentifiers() which takes some of
the pain out of handling resumption tokens for people who don't want to
understand them.

Another difference worth noting is that HTTP::OAI::Harvester will
store responses in memory, whereas Net::OAI::Harvester uses object
serialization and disk. Having objects on disk was a safeguard in case a
repository decided to return too many records, which in hindsight
probably never will happen since the server doesn't want to do it either
:-) The trend nowadays is towards speedier apps that use memory
more aggressively, so I think your approach makes more sense.

In general your code is a whole lot cleaner than mine, and should be
faster. Heck it even has a much higher version number :-) I know where to
point people when they have questions about Net::OAI::Harvester now.

Best,
//Ed