[OAI-implementers] OAI-PMH baseURL discovery

Tansley, Robert robert.tansley at hp.com
Fri Feb 18 09:04:24 EST 2005

Lots of news sites use <link> to inform browsers etc. of an RSS feed,
e.g. news.bbc.co.uk, slashdot.org, theregister.co.uk, and the
Mozilla/Firefox browsers use this to allow 'live bookmarks'.  I'm sure
other tools use them too.

E.g. <link
href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/rss/newsonline_world_edition/front_page/rss0
91.xml" rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="rss" />

This established practice seems pretty consistent with what we're trying
to do.  I could easily envisage an OAI-PMH Firefox extension that does
something with this...

 Robert Tansley / Digital Media Systems Programme / HP Labs
  http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Robert_Tansley/