[OAI-implementers] HTTPS and OAI

Thomas G. Habing thabing at uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 30 15:09:34 EDT 2004

Young,Jeff wrote:

> It appears that at least some of the DSpace OAI installations are running
> from the https protocol instead of http. I would think this violates OAI
> conformity. Are there any harvesters currently available that deal with
> https?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jeff
>
> ---
> Jeffrey A. Young
> Software Architect
> Office of Research, Mail Code 710
> OCLC Online Computer Library Center, Inc.
> 6565 Frantz Rd.
> Dublin, OH 43017-3395
> www.oclc.org
>
> Voice: 614-764-4342
> Voice: 800-848-5878, ext. 4342
> Fax: 614-718-7477
> Email: jyoung at oclc.org

Hi Jeff,

Our UIUC Harvester can harvest from https.  However, this is mostly an
accident of the Windows xml/http toolkit we use which seems to handle
https pretty transparently.

Even though the OAI spec doesn't mention https, it seems like it might
be useful to allow it for cases were an OAI repository might require the
security for some reason like closed systems passing secret metadata
around.  Although, it probably shouldn't be used unless it is really needed.

Tom Habing