[OAI-implementers] resumptionToken Implementation

Chris Wilper cwilper at cs.cornell.edu
Tue Sep 28 14:01:55 EDT 2004

In Fedora, we use the following approach: The query is run once against the
database.  After iterating through the first chunk of results, the ResultSet
object is just put into Map, keyed by a unique string (which is also the
resumptionToken).  If no one comes back to continue getting results within
some period of time, the ResultSet is removed from the Map and close()d.  If
they do come back, we can immediately start doing next()s.

The advantage is that there's very little latency on subsequent requests in a
series of resumptions.... the drawback being that DB connections from our
connectionpool are kept open until someone comes back, or our resumption
token timeout kicks in.

- Chris