[OAI-implementers] Creating a Data Provider

Simeon Warner simeon at cs.cornell.edu
Thu Sep 2 09:14:06 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Stanley Tan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What are the steps involved in making a data provider?  I already have a
> database with objects in it.  Is it necessary to modify the existing
> table structure?

You have to support the OAI-PMH protocol and perhaps cross-walk the
metadata in you database into a standard format or formats. It is unlikely
that you'll want to modify your existing database structure.

protocol: http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/openarchivesprotocol.htm
guidelines for d/p: http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/2.0/guidelines-repository.htm

With luck you'll be able to find existing packages or libraries that you
can use to avoid re-implementing the protocol, see:
http://www.openarchives.org/tools/tools.html

Cheers,
Simeon