[OAI-implementers] U of Michigan OAI tools

Kat Hagedorn khage at umich.edu
Thu Oct 28 16:38:05 EDT 2004

DLPS at the University of Michigan is pleased to announce our suite of
open-source OAI data provider and service provider tools. These tools,
all written in perl, include:

+ data provider software designed to map DLXS Bibliographic Class
collections to oai_dc
+ harvester software based on Ed Summers' N:O:H harvester APIs
+ transformation tool to transform harvested oai_dc metadata into DLXS
Bibliographic Class, ready for indexing

The data provider software, called broker, connects to a MySQL or CSV
database and uses the xpat search engine to serve up records. The DLXS
collection management tool, collmgr, is an integral part of broker.

The harvester, called UMHarvester, is a more stand-alone tool than the
other two. It will harvest more than one data provider at a time via a
simple, command-line interface and stores logs of successful or failed
harvests. It allows for set harvesting Currently, it will not perform
incremental harvests, but we would like to add this feature soon-ish.

The transformation tool, called OAITransform, counts records, records
with DC Identifiers and deleted records, as well as filtering out those
records without DC Identifiers and adding a DC Type normalization
element. It will also pinpoint UTF-8 character errors.

Future work will incorporate both MODS and MARC mapping and
transformations.

If anyone is interested in one or more of these tools, let us know and
we'll send them your way. We are investigating adding them to
SourceForge, along with the rest of DLXS materials, and also to our
dlxs.org website as an OAI tools package.

- Kat

-------------------
Kat Hagedorn
OAIster/Metadata Harvesting Librarian
DLXS Bibliographic Class Coordinator
DLXS Text Class Collections Co-coordinator
Digital Library Production Service
University of Michigan

http://www.oaister.org/
http://www.dlxs.org/