[OAI-implementers] OAI-XMLFile - Fixes/Problems

Venkat Suryadevara gokulsuryadevara at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 19:01:47 EDT 2004

Hi All,

        I've been through an interesting problem. I am a data provider
and I'm using Hussein Suleman's OAI-XMLFile tool to build my OAI-PMH
Server. I ran tests against Hussein's Repository Explorer
http://oai.dlib.vt.edu/cgi-bin/Explorer/oai2.0/testoai. All the 28
tests passed against my server.

 I wanted to move a step ahead by testing my base URL against Open
Archives Repository Explorer. I was surprised to find 3
errors/exceptions. The results of the test are below.

 I felt that there are some problems with OAI-XMLFile tool and took
the initiative to fix it. I could fix the first error where the test
passes a malformed parameter and expects a response. So I escaped the
malformed character in the header by replacing it with an empty
character (In the directory Pure/EZCGI.pm, Add a Line75: $parray[$i]
=~ s/%22/ /eg;)

 There are two more errors/exceptions that I couldn't manage to handle
at this point. I would be very thankful if someone using this tool who
already ran into similar problems would help me with the fix.

 Thank you,

Venkat

Base URL:

http://vapor.bus.oregonstate.edu/cgi-bin/OAI-XMLFile-2.1/XMLFile/tecollection/oai.pl

adminEmail: suryadev at bus.orst.edu

 Unfortunately your repository did not validate at version 2.0 of the
OAI-PMH according to our OAI protocol conformance tester. The error(s)
received during testing is/are listed below.

 Malformed response to

http://vapor.bus.oregonstate.edu/cgi-bin/OAI-XMLFile-2.1/XMLFile/tecollection/oai.pl?verb=GetRecord&identifier=invalid"id&metadataPrefix=oai_dc

not well-formed (invalid token) at line 6, column 46, byte 352

 An XML parsing error may be due to incorrectly including the invalid
identifier in the <request> element of your XML error response; only
valid arguments should be included. A response that includes <request
verb="GetRecord" identifier="invalid"id"

metadataPrefix="oai_dc">..baseURL..</request> is not well-formed XML
because of the quotation mark (") in the identifier.

 Error in parsing XML response to exception request:

verb=ListRecords&metadataPrefix=oai_dc&until=1969-01-01T00:00:00Z

 Empty resumption token in response to

http://vapor.bus.oregonstate.edu/cgi-bin/OAI-XMLFile-2.1/XMLFile/tecollection/oai.pl?verb=ListRecords&metadataPrefix=oai_dc

There should never be an empty resumptionToken in response to a
request without a resumptionToken argument

SUMMARY:

 Total exceptions improperly handled: 2 out of 15 Total error count: 3