[OAI-implementers] Fulltext of an document

Tim Brody tdb01r at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Nov 8 13:27:12 EST 2004

Achim Domma wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a question about getting the fulltext of a document from an open
> archive. Take for example the following link from the www.doaj.org site:
>
> http://www.doaj.org/oai?verb=ListRecords&from=2004-03-01&metadataPrefix=oai_dc
>

> The returned records have two dc:identifier tags. How can I figure out,
> which one is the one pointing to the fulltext?

The DOAJ lists journals, not texts. So you would need to go to the
journal(s) you're interested in to work out how to extract full-texts
from them.

> And as far as I understand, the metadata tag might contain data in
> diffent encodings, where Dublin Core is only one possiblity. Is that
> right? So there is no universal way to get the fulltext of a record?

Correct. I believe there are plans/work being done on a descriptive
language for "files". Until such a tool is widely implemented, how you
go about getting full-texts is archive-specific.

All the best,
Tim.