[OAI-implementers] DSpace OAI-PMH support changes, issues

Mark Doyle doyle at aps.org
Mon Jun 21 15:52:18 EDT 2004

Greetings,

On Monday, June 21, 2004, at 01:07  PM, herbert van de sompel wrote:

> I think the above makes _a lot_ of sense.  As a matter of fact, if I
> am not mistaken, the American Physical Society does something along
> the same lines by making their doi's part of an oai-identifier.

More specifically, we use a DOI suffix for our journal articles that is
transparently
related to the typical (journal, volume, page/article id) citation
triplet for our
articles. As Herbert points out, we use the DOI suffix as the oai
identifier as well
for our (mode 0) OAI services. In general, we find it best to have a
single way
to cite or otherwise reference our journal article, to the point where
we have
eliminated page numbers and replaced it with a 6 digit article id that
allows
us to post articles one at a time online in advance of print and still
have
the print TOC ordered monotonically with the articles sort by subject
area.
Most (almost all) other publishers have DOI's that aren't directly
related
to the article's final citation (only decided when the print issue is
paginated)
and, thus, have opaque DOI suffixes...

One could I suppose use the full DOI (with the prefix included), but I
find DOI prefixes not very illuminated (10.1103 is ours) and would
rather have something better like oai:aps.org.

Cheers,
Mark