[OAI-implementers] Different tagging styles in oai pmh 2.0 w/o namespaceprefix

Thomas G. Habing thabing@uiuc.edu
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 12:55:48 -0600

Hi Thomas,

 From the perspective of a namespace compliant XML parser, the prefix which
is used is not significant; the URI to which the prefix is bound is what is
significant.  For example:

<title xmlns="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">TEST</title>

<dc:title xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">TEST</dc:title>

<dubc:title xmlns:dubc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">TEST</dubc:title>

All of the above should be treated identically; therefore, I doubt if there
will be any changes to the OAI spec to clarify.

I will say that I have run into practical problems when trying to ingest
prefixed or not prefixed xml records into different database systems.
However, I consider this to be a problem with the database, not with the XML
records or the OAI specification.

Hope this helps,
	Thomas

--
Thomas Habing
Research Programmer, Digital Library Projects