[OAI-implementers] SOAP-PMH

Hussein Suleman hussein at cs.uct.ac.za
Tue Dec 7 06:41:59 EST 2004

hi Joseph

some thoughts ...

on a technical level, it makes sense that if there is to be a new
version of OAI-PMH it should probably be layered over a (RESTful) SOAP.

on a practical level, there is a lot of existing community knowledge and
infrastructure built around OAI-PMHv2.0 so we dont want to disturb that
without enough of a reason.

on a political level, to go beyond the controlled experiments some of us
have done would require the support of the DL community at large.

so, basically, we did the experiments and we know the issues. yes, it
can work. but, no, im not certain we need to push this just yet. it is
almost like the planets need to be aligned but they just dont seem to be
aligned at the moment ... until they are aligned, OAI-PMHv2.0 may be the
thing to stick to :)

ttfn,
----hussein