[OAI-implementers] Qualified Dublin Core

Rachel Heery r.heery at ukoln.ac.uk
Wed Aug 11 07:24:23 EDT 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Timothy W. Cole wrote:

> So I'm not sure how successful posting a canonical XSD for qualified DC will
> be in keeping a lid on the number of XSDs and namespaces used in the OAI
> universe, and I'm not sure harvesters can count on (or really should ask)
> providers to export both in their extended qualified DC and a canonical form
> of qualified DC. Doing so might simplify (slightly) the service providers
> task, but I'm not sure it's a compelling case, especially from the
> perspective of the data provider. (A complicating consideration is that any
> of the above schemas could actually be used by someone who did just have
> pure qualified DC -- since all augmentations are entirely optional).

Seems to me, given the potential that OAI-PMH offers for building
'networks of repositories' there are benefits in encouraging applications
to pass on richest metadata available, ignoring unknown extensions.
Metadata will be re-harvested by applications that can use extensions.

Can there be a solution whereby OAI recognises that a single schema
identified as Qualified Dublin Core might contain local fields? is this
not analogous to situation in MARC which might contain local fields??

I have always liked the approach taken in PRISM spec:

"PRISM-compliant applications MUST NOT throw an error if they encounter
unknown elements or attributes. They are free to delete or preserve such
information, although recommended practice is to retain them and pass them
along. Retaining the information is an architectural principle which helps
new functionality be established in the presence of older versions of
software."
see http://www.prismstandard.org/Pam_1.0/PRISM_1.2h.pdf

Not sure how far that is achievable with OAI-PMH but it does seem to me to
recognise the reality of metadata schemas being extended and evolving.

In addition might there be a barrier in expecting data providers to map
their 'extended QDC to 'pure QDC' plus 'Simple DC', somewhat going against
philosophy of OAI trying to make things easy for data providers??

Rachel

> Hence my suggestion that harvesters, cross-walks, transformations, and other
> such services might do better to key off of embedded namespaces rather than
> specific XSD or even top-level namespaces. And though clearly data providers
> could go out of their way to import qualified DC namespaces into their local
> XSDs and then not use those namespaces, that seems unlikely -- so I disagree
> with Simeon that harvesters should steer clear of locally augmented formats
> based on qualified DC on such an assumption or for fear they won't be able
> to extract enough useful information from records that maybe do contain
> additional content in other namespaces. Possibly there's some risk, but it
> seems to me that a dc:title element or dcterms:created refinement still
> means much the same whether embedded in a canonical qualified DC record or
> in a CDP DC augmented qualified DC record.
>
> And I don't see why you couldn't write an XSLT to crosswalk from qualified
> DC to MARC that could be applied not only to records of "pure" qualified DC,
> but also to OLAC DC or NSDL DC, or CDP DC. Obviously such a generic
> crosswalk would drop local encoding schemes like olac:linguistic-type,
> olac:linguistic-field, and nsdl:GEM, and refinements like
> cdp:holdingInstitutions and cdp:thumbnailIdentifier, but for many purposes
> that would be okay, especially if the XSLT were smart enough to take
> advantage of any xs:substitutionGroup information contained in the XSDs
> referenced by the instances (e.g., so as to know that
> cdp:thumbnailIdentifier was a refinement of dc:identifier).
>
> It may be a little more work, but given the actual trend to date of data
> providers wanting to augment qualified DC with local semantics, I think
> we'll need to build our applications smart enough to deal with such
> diversity. And if we do that, it doesn't really matter if there is a
> multiplicity of top-level container schemas for qualified DC (as long as
> they all reference the appropriate DCMI component namespaces).
>
> Tim Cole
> University of Illinois at UC

Rachel Heery
UKOLN, University of Bath                       tel: +44 (0)1225 386724
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk