[OAI-implementers] Handling digital duplicates of physical content

Sebastian Bossung sblist at jbib.de
Wed Aug 4 04:53:22 EDT 2004

Hi

we have an application that stores metadata for physical documents. In
most cases the documents are also digitized, but the original are not
under our institution's control. I am wondering whether it makes sense
to expose the metadata via OAI-PMH.
The Problem I see is that there is danger of duplicate metadata
records as other people might have the same idea of creating a
meta-library and exposing it via OAI-PMH. However, we think that most
of the content will not be digitized in the near future anywhere
else.
In this scenario does it make sense to implement OAI-PMH in our
system? I am especially interested in any pointers to possible
solutions of the duplicate-metadata-problem.

Thanks

Sebastian
--
Sebastian Bossung - sb at jbib.de - http://www.jbib.de/sb

A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun
is shining and wants it back the minute it begins to rain.