[OAI-implementers] OAI identifier resolver

Young,Jeff jyoung@oclc.org
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:42:53 -0400

In this case, I would recommend that the service provider create and
maintain its own OAI harvestable registry of OAI repositories that it
supports. I was able to set up my dummy registry using OAICat in minutes.
Since this registry is under the service provider's control, it is free to
assign meaningful repositoryIdentifiers to each supported repository. If the
supported repository uses oai-identifiers, then the repositoryIdentifier can
be taken from that. Otherwise, the service provider can feel free to assign
any meaningful name it wants.

Given this registry, you could then download the open-source resolver code
I'm offering and run it yourself against this registry. The basic URLs would
look like this:

http://servicesRus.com/oai/<oai-identifier>
or
http://servicesRus.com/oai/<repositoryIdentifier>/<identifier>

>From there, you can append any of the ".extension" or "?extension" modifiers
from my examples, including the "?POI" extension.

Jeff