[OAI-implementers] OAI identifier resolver

Xiaoming Liu liu_x@cs.odu.edu
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 12:02:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Young,Jeff wrote:

> - My hope is that these URLs will be as natural-looking as possible, which
> is why I'm advocating the assignment of meaningful repositoryIdentifiers
> during the registration process, even for repositories that don't use the
> oai-identifier schema.

I think we all agree it's useful to uniquely identify a repository and all
its records in an URL-friendly way. Thus different service providers and
data providers can easily interoperate.

I just personally feel it's probably easier to agree on an algorithm than
a centralized registration mechanism. MD5 generated fingerprint is probably
too long, but other hashing algorithms (like CRC32) can generate much
shorter signature.

xiaoming