[OAI-implementers] RSS Feed Form the UIUC OAI Registry

Michael Nelson mln@cs.odu.edu
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:21:57 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003, Thomas G. Habing wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just added an RDF Site Summary (RSS) feed to the OAI registry at UIUC.
>   The URL for the RSS feed is http://gita.grainger.uiuc.edu/registry/rss.asp
> This may be useful for people who are trying to keep track of the latest and
> greatest OAI providers.  The RSS feed will list the 10 most recently added
> or modified repositories.  This is something I just threw together without
> knowing too much about RSS, so if anyone discovers any problems please let
> me know.

this is very cool...  perhaps this could be incorporated into the OAI-PMH
website?  a side bar showing the latest repositories would be a nice way
to insure dynamic content on the web site.

> Last night I also ran my gOAIglePop script.  This script programatically
> does some Google searches, looking for OAI repositories.  If it finds a URL
> which appears to be an OAI repository it issues an Identify request.  If it
> gets a valid response, its found a repository.  The results of the script
> run can be found at http://gita.grainger.uiuc.edu/registry/gOAIgle.xml The
> latest run found three previously unknown repositories (at least to the
> registry).  If anyone is interested, the best Google query I've found for
> finding OAI repositories is 'allinurl:verb=Identify'.  Type this into the
> Google query textbox and press Search.

also very cool...  suggestion: perhaps do some normalization of the URLs?
or at least normalize based on the Identify response?  for example, you
found at least one of my repos twice:

<baseURL>http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/oai2.0/</baseURL>

<baseURL>http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/oai2.0/index.cgi</baseURL>

which are the same repositories and give the same responses in Identify.

regards,

Michael