[OAI-implementers] points to ponder

Jewel Ward jewelw@lanl.gov
Tue, 13 May 2003 12:02:34 -0600

>i remember some 3 years ago, when OAIv1.0 was being designed we referred
>to Z39.50 as the "800-pound gorilla" - the protocol that everyone
>supported and you did not openly challenge. is OAI-PMH the new 800-pound
>gorilla?

As far as I know, the idea of keeping and continuing to keep the OAI-PMH
parameters narrow is to *prevent* the OAI-PMH from turning into an "800 lb,
Z39.50-ish gorilla".  I believe the intention is not to make the OAI-PMH
into an untouchable/unchangeable Holy Grail, so much as (to) "KISS" (Keep
It Simple, Stupid).

Regards,

Jewel

--
Jewel H. Ward
Graduate Research Assistant, Post-master's