[OAI-implementers] points to ponder

Steve Sarapata ssarapat@enc.org
Tue, 13 May 2003 12:51:35 -0400

I like the idea of reusing the vocabulary and parameter list and any
attributes. The issue becomes that of context. If we document as we
should reuse should not be an issue, or at least it can be a manageable
issue.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Hussein Suleman [mailto:hussein@cs.uct.ac.za]
Sent: Tuesday, May 13, 2003 12:20 PM
To: OAI-implementers
Subject: [OAI-implementers] points to ponder

hi

i am sitting here looking out the window wondering why OAI people are so

wedded to the idea that we should not use parts of the protocol in any
way for other purposes ... on the board behind me i have a matrix of
protocol requirements and i need to name and parametrise the individual
interfaces ... and i dont want to create new names just to be different
but past experience says that if i do not, it will be an uphill battle
against people who believe OAI is not to be tampered with ...

should i use a completely new vocabulary for random access to a
repository/database/component or are words like "GetRecord" and
"ListRecords" ok? can the parameters be the same or are "identifier" and

"set" reserved for OAI-PMH? is the record format strictly for OAI-PMH
only?

obviously OAI did not invent remote access to records - all it did was
popularise and standardise a way of doing it. is it not time we realised

that the OAI-PMH specifies so much more in terms of DL practices than
just a harvesting protocol?

precisely where is the line between metadata harvesting and DL
practices?

i remember some 3 years ago, when OAIv1.0 was being designed we referred

to Z39.50 as the "800-pound gorilla" - the protocol that everyone
supported and you did not openly challenge. is OAI-PMH the new 800-pound

gorilla?

anyway, just thought i would throw this out for discussion. it seems the

general forum is announcement-only so this is the only place for
discussion.

ttfn,
----hussein