[OAI-implementers] hierarchical documents

zubair@cs.odu.edu zubair@cs.odu.edu
Mon, 12 May 2003 07:55:22 -0400

To handle digital objects with hierarchy (we refer them as complex digital
objects) in OAI framework, this is what we have explored.

1. Use richer metadata (parallel metadata set) to represent a complex
digital object.

2. Map the richer metadata set to oai_dc, in our case it is metadata
associated with the root node in the complex digital object hierarchy. In
the mapped DC, we also embed a URL pointing to the complex digital object.
This URL is basically pointing to a service that can present the complex
object to a user, in our case it is an applet that allows users to navigate
the complex object hierarchy and download individual files.

Zubair

|--------+---------------------------------------------->
|        |          Jakob Voss <jakob.voss@nichtich.de> |
|        |          Sent by:                            |
|        |          oai-implementers-admin@oaisrv.nsdl.c|
|        |          ornell.edu                          |
|        |                                              |
|        |                                              |
|        |          05/09/03 03:44 PM                   |
|--------+---------------------------------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                   |
  |      To:     oai-implementers@oaisrv.nsdl.cornell.edu                                             |
  |      cc:                                                                                          |
  |      Subject:     [OAI-implementers] hierarchical documents                                       |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi!

I am relatively new to OAI and going to set up a simple Data Provider
for different kind of publications. Many publications consist of
different parts in different file formats and publication types but
I do not know how to deal with them. For instance:

Title: All about nothing
Author: Mr. Smith
Files:
   Slides
     PowerPoint Source: all-about-nothing.slides.ppt
     PDF Output:        all-about-nothing.slides.pdf
   Paper
     OpenOffice Source: all-about-nothing.paper.ooo
     RTF Exchange:      all-about-nothing.paper.rtf
     PDF Output:        all-about-nothing.paper.pdf

I thought about several possibilities:
- All files are one document with several dc:indentifier
   for each file (information about type and format is lost)
- Each file is one document (much duplication)
- Create sets for each publication and type (more sets than
   publications)

How do you store information about hierarchical
document-relationship? For instance an article (with several
versions, types and formats) can be part of a book that
is part of a series and so on.

Thanks for your comments!

Jakob Voß