[OAI-implementers] Trying to gauge interest on two features

Hussein Suleman hussein@cs.uct.ac.za
Sun, 11 May 2003 20:50:09 +0200

hi

i currently also have a group of students working on a comprehensive
SOAP-PMH case study, including development of a framework for data
providers, service providers and testing tools (as well as a preliminary
"rewrite" of the protocol spec). the point of our exercise is to
illustrate the benefits of SOAP and address every conceivable issue that
may arise in moving from PMH to SOAP-PMH (which can benefit not just
OAI-PMH, but also other "proprietary" RPC mechanisms that wish to move
to SOAP).

in due course (beginning of Oct) their final report will be submitted to
the OAI for consideration.

as a preliminary answer to some of your questions, from our perspective:
- in the OAI tradition, we are using XML Schema to define SOAP requests
and responses instead of the using the explicit type mechanism
- we are wrapping wherever possible, so responses pretty much embed
existing OAI responses
- we are still looking into SOAP Faults vs OAI errors

fwiw, if anyone has not seen the announcement on w3.org, SOAP v1.2 just
became a "proposed recommendation" ... just when i thought i was
beginning to understand the old version :)

ttfn,
----hussein