[OAI-implementers] superscripts, subscripts, Greek alphabet

Anne Mahoney amahoney@perseus.tufts.edu
Fri, 09 May 2003 13:37:29 -0400

For Greek, although the "right" answer is Unicode, we have for many
years used (a subset of) Beta-code, developed by the Thesaurus Linguae
Graecae project.  It has the great advantage of using only low-ASCII
characters (better yet, characters that also exist in EBCDIC), so
there's no need for Unicode-aware editors or the like.  We've used it
since long before Unicode existed, for our texts as well as for any
relevant meta-data (titles, section titles).

Documentation at http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/Help/fonthelp.html#beta
(easy subset) and at http://www.tlg.uci.edu/BetaCode.html (whole
specification).

--Anne Mahoney