[OAI-implementers] Number of records in each request

Simeon Warner simeon@cs.cornell.edu
Fri, 21 Mar 2003 13:00:52 -0500 (EST)

The main issue concerning the maximum size of responses seems to be the
size that XML parsers will readily handle. The maximum number of records
that should be returned thus depends partly on the size of each record.
Limiting response size to a few MB seems sensible at present. For
arXiv.org I return <=1500 records which is typically 2-3MB.

One can of course return many more identifiers in a ListIdentifiers
response then records in a ListRecords response within the same size
limit.

Cheers,
Simeon.