[OAI-implementers] OAI implementation

Hussein Suleman hussein@cs.uct.ac.za
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 12:45:42 +0200

hi Rurie

to expose your collection to "the world", I would recommend the OAI
protocol since it does not place great demands on the server, and the
server can control usage by outside clients.

there is, alas, not much detailed analysis of the applicability of OAI
in situations with poor bandwidth and resource-poor archives - trying to
deal with this is one of my goals for the next year or so.

as an attempt to answer some of your questions:

1. go to the OAI website (www.openarchives.org) and read the paper by
Lagoze and Van de Sompel in JCDL2001. that will give you a good overview
of the features. the site also lists currently registered data
providers, though you have to read individual papers (all listed on the
site) to get an idea of barriers and problems faced by them.

2. regarding network stumbling blocks, the short answer is nobody really
knows. if you are interested in doing experiments and tests on this in
the future, please keep in touch with me.

also, i see you have published a paper at IIWAS2002 titled "Extending
The OAI Protocol as the Data Integration Framework for the Digital
Library Network in the Third World". i would really like to read this,
and would greatly appreciate it if you sent me a copy - or better yet -
submitted a copy to the OAI website. thanks!

ttfn,
----hussein