[OAI-implementers] OAI identifiers

David Loy david.loy@ucop.edu
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 09:03:13 -0800

--=====================_148163628==.ALT

This is the first time I've written to this list.

I am trying to get a better understanding of identifier as used in OAI
protocol.

According to the standard (I'm using
http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.htm#UniqueIdentifier)
, a unique identifier is defined as a URI which by definition contains
ftp:, http:, oai: etc.

We use an ark as our persistent URI (see
http://www.cdlib.org/inside/diglib/ark/):
http://findaid.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/ft2s200504

My question is how to set up the description element of the Identity
response to describe this non-oai identifier.

Any help would be terrific.

Thanks
David Loy
--=====================_148163628==.ALT

This is the first time I've written to this list. <br><br>
I am trying to get a better understanding of identifier as used in OAI
protocol.<br><br>
According to the standard (I'm using
http://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.htm#UniqueIdentifier)
, a unique identifier is defined as a URI which by definition contains
ftp:, http:, oai: etc.<br><br>
We use an ark as our persistent URI (see
http://www.cdlib.org/inside/diglib/ark/):<br>
<pre><a href="http://findaid.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/ft2s200504" eudora="autourl">http://findaid.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/ft2s200504

</a></pre>My question is how to set up the description element of the
Identity response to describe this non-oai identifier.<br><br>
Any help would be terrific.<br><br>
Thanks<br>
David Loy</body>