[OAI-implementers] Patriot Act E-Learning Course

referencedesk@att.net referencedesk@att.net
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 17:17:55 +0000

Do the terms “USA Patriot Act,” “Homeland Security Department” and “Total
Information Awareness” lead to more questions than answers when it comes to
working in an information-centric business? Do you want to understand more
about the basics of the Fourth Amendment and whether recent legislative and
administration efforts, not to mention technology, are eroding our right of
individual liberty?

The College of Information Studies at the University of Maryland is pleased
to announce an e-learning, continuing education course that answers these and
other questions about how the Patriot Act affects information professionals.
The course, which runs September 15-26, is designed to be completed on your
own schedule during a two-week time frame. It is taught by visiting professor
Lee Strickland, a career CIA official and legal expert on librarian and
information management related issues. For complete details, check out our
Web site at http://www.clis.umd.edu/ce

The key dates follow:
Government intrusion vs. Individual Liberty: Understanding the 4th Amendment
and the USA Patriot Act
September 15-September 26, 2003
Registration Deadline: September 1, 2003
Cost: $145