[OAI-implementers] Re: Reconsidering mandatory DC in OAI-PMH

Ann Apps ann.apps@man.ac.uk
Wed, 6 Aug 2003 14:27:40 +0000

My opinion on DC within OAI-PMH is that it should be retained as
either mandatory or very-strongly-recommended. Because it
provides basic interoperability at a simple resouce
description/discovery level. Most resouces will have a title and
identifiers.

But as others have pointed out, there should be encouragement to
provide other richer metadata formats appropriate to the particular
domain.

I'm answering this particular email really to put the record straight
on DC types. It may not be very widely known yet. At the most
recent meeting of the DC Usage Board it was agreed to include two
new types in the DCMI Type Vocabulary: Moving Image and Still
Image. (The existing Image type will be retained because it is
already in use.) Definitions of these new types will become
available when the DC Terms documentation is next updated.

However, the DCMI Type Vocabulary is not really part of simple
DC. In simple DC the value of a property is just a text string. In
order to indicate that a value of dc:type is using the DCMI Type
Vocabulary you need to say 'xsi:type="DCMIType"' which is
qualified DC.

Of course you can choose to include tems like 'Text', 'Image' as
the value of the dc:type property in simple DC, but simple DC itself
doesn't require it. It is perfectly valid in simple DC to have:
<dc:type>car</dc:type>.

Some of the discussion I've seen over the last day or so incline me
to think that the use of simple DC in oai_dc is already being used
with an assumption of qualified DC restrictions for some elements.
Which inclines me to wonder if OAI-PMH should include some
recommendation for oai_qdc as well.

	Ann